United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child- Article 14
West Heath Nursery School promotes British Values:
- Individual Liberty
- Tolerance of Those of Different Faiths and Beliefs
- Mutual Respect
- The Rule of Law
British Values and Rights Respect at West Heath Nursery School
With reference to the following DfE publication West Heath Nursery School has considered a response relating to the age and stage of development of the children in our care.
Reference: Promoting fundamental British values as part of SMSC in schools - Departmental advice for maintained schools, November 2014 Fundamental British values.
Schools should promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs. This can help schools to demonstrate how they are meeting the requirements of section 78 of the Education Act 2002, in their provision of SMSC.
- At West Heath Nursery School we value all of our children and families.
- We celebrate cultural and religious diversity through planned activities and everyday resources.
- We aim to promote mutual respect by encouraging all our stake holders to acknowledge and celebrate the diverse world in which we live.
- We are an inclusive setting and our ethos and curriculum enables children to be independent learners. The context of the setting supports children to make choices and build strong relationships particularly with their peers. We encourage this by creating an autonomous environment to support child-led learning and plan adult-led activities to support the needs and interests of the cohort.
- We use puppets to support children in thinking about boundaries for keeping us happy and safe.
- With some adult support, children create their own rules for the setting and use signing and symbols as a reminder about keeping happy and safe.
Our approach to the curriculum promotes a framework for promoting British values – democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.