Our Ethos & Vision
At West Heath Nursery School we aim to:
- Ensure that child-centred provision supports the learning and development of every child.
- Maintain and develop a safe and inspiring learning environment indoors and out.
- Develop and maintain quality teaching and learning through our reflective practice.
- Scaffold a learning community where we work in partnership with all stakeholders; governors, staff, children, parents, local schools and services to challenge our thinking, realise our dreams and achieve success.
These will be achieved by:
- Recognising and valuing children as competent, capable learners so that they develop confidence, independence and high self-esteem.
- Offering children a wide range of learning experiences which acknowledge the diversity of learning styles, so that they have the opportunity to realise and expand their personal potential.
- Motivating and inspiring children to plan and initiate their own learning, as well as participating in activities planned by adults.
- Valuing and nurturing children's curiosity, creativity and desire to make sense of the world, giving time for their thoughts, ideas, conversations, feelings and appreciation of their efforts and achievements.
- Following the Statutory Guidance of the EYFS and Birmingham Safe Guarding Board.
- Providing a well-planned, aesthetic, motivating and versatile learning environment, which supports children as active learners, provoking their interest and inquiry, and linking indoors with outdoors.
- Encouraging an understanding of the importance of working together as a mutually supportive, unified staff team, to develop reflective practice.
- Providing time and space to reflect as a staff team on children’s learning; using observations and documentation to assess, target and plan for future development.
- Training students from a variety of educational establishments to form an understanding of early years practice and complete the appropriate course to the best of their abilities.
- Valuing and nurturing each child as an individual person and creating trusting relationships where learning can take place.
- Developing strong, reciprocal and mutually trusting relationships between child, family, school and the community including other public services including the Children’s Centre.
- Supporting the children in making the transition to the next phase of their education with enthusiasm and confidence following a happy and fulfilling experience in Nursery.